The Grenna Museum Foundation and the Andrée Museum were formed in 1977 by the Grenna Local History Society and the municipality of Jönköping. The Local History Society has been extremely active since 1912, and has gradually built up a collection of objects and buildings, which together with various forms of activities have created a rich ensemble. Up until the formation of the Foundation, activities were mainly carried out by volunteers. In the 1970s, it became increasingly apparent that a full-time employee was needed. The first person recruited by the Foundation was Olof Fong, a man within the protection of Swedish monuments and folklore, who during his time drove museum questions and tourism forwards within the region.
In May 2002, the Grenna Museum Foundation moved into new premises – the Grenna Culture Institution – with a museum on two floors and the municipal library. With the move, we adopted a new logo and a new name, Grenna Museum, which marks our geographical location and original concept of local history.
During 2017 and 2018, the museum’s exhibitions were completely rebuilt. We have given the Andrée expedition and other polar history more space and we now use more modern techniques to bring the expeditions to Life.